STEWARDSHIP DIRECTOR, Metlakatla Stewardship Office
Reporting to the Metlakatla Stewardship Society Board, the Stewardship Director will help formally establish the Metlakatla Stewardship Office (MSO), govern the day‐to‐day operations of the Office and staff, and ensure the MSO is pursuing its strategic goals within the growing natural resource sector in northern BC.
Deadline for Application: July 30, 2012
The Stewardship Director will be responsible for:
- Supporting the establishment of the Metlakatla Stewardship Office (MSO) and directing the integration of existing Metlakatla departments under the MSO
- Engaging with governments and other First Nations to advance Metlakatla stewardship goals
- Managing MSO staff and supporting their ongoing stewardship initiatives
- Managing and tracking MSO operating budgets and working to secure ongoing revenue sources
The Stewardship Director will have the following attributes:
Experience and Education
- Degree or diploma in resource management, environmental studies, First Nations studies or business/management with minimum 5 years management experience or an equivalent combination of experience and education
- Knowledge and experience supporting First Nations to advance Rights and Title, environmental policy and programs, and implementation of land and marine use agreements
- Knowledge of existing land, marine and natural resource legislation
- Experience leading a diverse team to successfully achieve strategic goals
- Experience working in a First Nations community and cultural environment
- Knowledge of Metlakatla heritage, community, and culture
Skills & Abilities
- Ability to communicate strongly orally and in writing
- Ability to understand, interpret, and synthesize legislation, policy and scientific literature
- Ability to set priorities and manage multiple tasks and staff in a fast paced work environment
- Proven ability to accomplish work with excellence and professionalism
- Computer literacy: Microsoft Office programs, basic email/internet skills, financial tracking software, mapping/GIS abilities considered an asset
The Metlakatla Stewardship Office is located in Metlakatla, BC, a 15 minute daily commute by ferry from the City of Prince Rupert. The position will require occasional overnight travel.
Compensation will include a competitive salary and benefits package, commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Those requiring further information can contact Anna Usborne at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 250‐628‐3201.
Those who wish to apply can submit a resume and cover letter to the above email or in hard copy to:
Prince Rupert, BC V8J 3P6
We encourage all interested parties to apply. Those shortlisted for an interview will be called directly.